วันอังคารที่ 29 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2551

Some Exercise Tips For The Working Professional

Sometimes I wonder at how my fitness priorities could change so much since high school. Back then I never would have imagined myself struggling to find the time to stay in shape or, as I often find necessary, get back into shape. I have seen many friends from my days as an athlete who have put on some serious extra weight. Most of them admit that they just haven?t made keeping their physique a priority, and nearly all complain of not having the time, access to a gym, or a consistent workout companion. Here are some simple things you might try if you?ve found yourself in a similar situation, facing a demanding desk job, needing to spend quality time with your wife and kids after work, and shamelessly watching your once rock-hard body settle like a landfill.

Make good use of the small time slots Back when I had hours to spend in the weight room because of a lack of other responsibilities, I used to mock the commercials that insisted that with the BowFlex system, a person could sculpt a body similar to the ones shown using the equipment. I?m still not quite sold on that (the people on the commercials are pretty ripped), but I do think there is a principle there. Many people neglect getting exercise because they think it means dedicating a two-hour time slot they can?t afford. However, if you think about the downtime you experience each day, twenty minutes isn?t a lot. You can still get results even if the twenty minutes you spend exercising isn?t all at the same time. I had a computer science professor in college who would sometimes appear to be out of his office when I went to visit until I heard the heavy breathing under his desk. When I asked what he was doing, he told me that he would do a set of 20 push-ups in between classes or when he needed a quick break from preparing lesson plans or grading work. If you consciously find five of those breaks in one day, you can stay in pretty decent shape.

It may be easier for you to spend ten minutes in the morning when you first get up, then again at night before you go to bed. One suggestion that I have heard many times is to try to build up to a sweat, as this will increase the number of calories you burn.

Be Creative About Exercising Sure it might help to have a sophisticated piece of equipment that cost so much that you feel obligated to use it. However, gravity is available to everyone, and that really is all you need to find the resistance required for exercise. During periods when I didn?t have access to free weights, I found other exercises that would give me definition and tone, from push-ups to wall squats (sit against the wall as if you are in a chair for as long as you can - it really works your legs), from shadow boxing to toe touches, I was able to stay in good enough shape that when I later had access to free weights again, I wasn?t starting from square one. The home I live in now has two floors. At the risk of needing to replace our carpet on the stairs more quickly than we planned, I run the stairs in my home when I have a break. It works just the same as when I ran the bleachers in high school.

Set Goals I like to remind myself of what I want to accomplish by setting some reasonable goals and keeping a chart or list of what I expect of myself. This makes it so that other pursuits don?t crowd out the need for exercise. If you have an office of some other place where you can hang notes at home, put up a reminder to ?Do 50 pushups and situps?. This will give you added strength to keep up with your fitness goals. Another helpful suggestion is to let someone (your spouse is a good resource) know what you are trying to accomplish and ask for help following up on your goal.

These are a few simple tips for staying or getting in shape for those of us who still remember what it was like to be great athletes, but who struggle with making it a priority. Try them today and see if they can make a difference in your life.

Richard Robbins is one of the owners of RobbinsSports.com, a retailer of team sports equipment and uniforms for basketball, soccer, baseball and other sports

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: